I think everyone has their books that they're fervent advocates for - the one that you make all your friends read, and that you read over and over again.  I know that I have tons of these books (sorry, friends, just trying to ENRICH YOUR LIVES.)

These are a few of those books for me.  I think that everyone should read these books because they kind of changed my life and I think there's a lot that can be learned from them.  If you're looking for your next (and close to last, wahhh) summer read, pick one of these!



1. Lisey's Story - Stephen King. This has been my "Don't get me talking about it unless you want an essay" book for the past couple years.  Lisey's Story follows Lisey Landon, the wife of a recentlt deceased famous writer, as she comes to terms with his death and the secrets that she has buried for years.   If you like your romance with a little supernatural creepiness, this one is for you.  It's Stephen King's favorite book that he's written, and you can tell when you're reading - it's incredibly heartfelt.  I cry like 3 times every time I read it, and I try to read it every year.

2. Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller.  The movie is really good, but nothing can beat the book.  Miller put things into words that I have always felt, but didn't know how to articulate. It's a Christian book, but I think it's worth the read whether you believe or not - Miller's account of college and all the scary, exciting stuff that comes with that time in your life is relatable regardless.

3. The Little Prince- Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry. You have no excuse for this one because it's so short that you can read it in an afternoon, and it's perfect to share with your kids.  Concepts of love, loss, and friendship simply and authentically packaged in children's stories.  My personal favorite is the chapter about the fox.

4. The Circle Trilogy - Ted Dekker.  Books that you love are great, series are even better.  This one is definitely on the weirder side (sci-fi fans rejoice!), but I think it's pretty accessible for everyone.  It's an allegorical, multi-dimensional sci fi family saga that explored themes of redemption, forgiveness, and time travel.  What more could you want?

5. Privilege - Ross Gregory Douthat. I found this one as a fluke when it was in the sale bin at BAM.  It was really interesting and a pretty fun read.  I've never been one of those people who was fascinated by Ivy League culture, but I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of it.

6. Mere Christianity/The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity challenges your faith and then turns around and affirms it in ways that are undeniable.  The Screwtape Letters brings uncomfortable realizations about your own life and the things that you think are "harmless", but really are anything but.  I couldn't decide between them.


Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!