I'll be the first to admit it: I have a shopping problem.
I believe in the power of retail therapy.  If I'm stressed or down, buying a two dollar beanie on Amazon gives me the momentary lift in mood that I need to feel like I'm back in control.  When you say it like that, it doesn't really make sense, but I'm sure most of you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Unfortunately this habit results in a whole lot of clutter, not to mention unnecessary spending.  In 2014, I want to get a handle on this.  I want to save rather than spending every extra dollar, I want to be in control without whipping out the credit card.
The second one I just need to pray about.  Materialism is an ugly trait, and not one I want to display.
But I'm taking initiative on the "doing something" side, as well.
I've thought about it a whole lot (in the shower, mostly.  That's where I have my best ideas), and there are a couple guidelines I've come up with for myself that should help with my quest to save and simplify:


1. If you can't wear it 3 different ways, don't buy it.  There's no reason to have pieces that can only be worn one way or in one outfit.  Versatility makes more outfits for less money.

2. Will you get a return on your investment?  Buy things that last a looooong time.  And commit to using them for as long as they last.  I have a problem with buying bags.  So now, if I'm going to buy one, I'm going to save and buy one that will last for 5 years, and carry it until it wears out.  More money upfront, but less expensive than buying a cheap bag every four to six months, which is my current pattern.  Also, I love the idea of buying a nice leather bag classic enough that my daughter will want to carry it someday.

3. Will I still wear/use this in 5 years?  Trendy is fun, but I feel like I'm reaching the age where I should focus more on classic things than trendy things.  A simple gray tee shirt can be worn for years in a ton of different ways... not so much a neon pink one.

I'm not saying I'm going to be a pro at this... but the first step is admitting you have a problem, right?  I anticipate following these guidelines 90% of the time, coupled with some serious introspection, should change how I spend money and how I handle stress.


Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!