I've always been a big reader.  In fact, "big reader" kind of doesn't do it justice.  Like, I got in trouble in elementary school for reading too much.  That's like full circle theory.  In my painfully awkward middle school years, I read a book a day, I kid you not.  Reading rather than talking to people during lunch hour will do that.

Now that the world's tiniest violin is done providing the soundtrack for my twelve year old self, we can move on to summer reading!

I'm a big novel reader, mostly urban fantasy and scary things.  I love scary books but I can't handle scary movies, go figure.  Anyway, one of the things I wanted to do more this year was get into nonfiction books.  I mean, fantasy is great, but there are a lot of cool things that actually happen too, and I feel like I should be more informed about them.

I really like reading memoirs, because I like reading about cool people, and if you're cool enough to write a memoir I figure there's probably a lot I can learn from you.  Someday I wish to have enough neat life experiences to write a memoir.  Someday.

I ordered my first two a few weeks ago, and they finally came in!



Caleb and I watched the movie CBGB the other night, and it made me really curious about that time period.  Some googling turned up that Patti Smith wrote a memoir, so I added it to my list.  I just started it and I'm really loving it so far.  It's like the quintessential starving artist story, and her writing style is beautiful.  It's like reading poetry. I also really like the way the book feels, is that weird? The pages are the perfect weight and it has a jacket flap to hold your place even though it's a paperback. A+. You can get Just Kids here.

I will admit that a large reason why I wanted Anjelica Houston's memoir is because Ever After is and will continue to be in my top 3 favorite movies of all time.  I'm really excited to learn more about her, though.  I'm fascinated with artists and muses (I would like to be a muse someday, how does one apply for that?) and I know that she had an extensive career before bossing Drew Barrymore around.  You can get A Story Lately Told here.




Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!