Hollywood is not the arbiter of our spirituality.  Frankly, it is naive to assume that any movie coming out of a mainstream studio is going to be a likely candidate for intense religious study.  I personally think that it's a step in the right direction that movies are being made about Biblical stories at all.  That demonstrates that people are interested in the stories in the Bible, and may actually pick one up out of curiosity because they want to see the source material.  That's cool.  It's also cool (to me) that someone without religious leanings was interested enough in a story from the Bible that they wanted to adapt it - that is someone's heart being taken hold of, and the Bible being studied, even if it is for making a movie.  Every person in the cast and crew was exposed to the Old Testament in the process of making this movie.  I believe that the Holy Spirit can really work on some hearts through that, and I'm praying that He does.
I haven't seen Noah yet, but the reviews I have read from friends paints a picture of a movie that isn't Sunday School material, but is an illustration of a human man who does God's will, even though he sometimes doubts it and sometimes isn't too pleased with it.  When it comes down to it, aren't we all that way sometimes?  I know that I am.  I long to be in the center of His will, but sometimes I don't like it.  Doubt is part of the spiritual journey, not an indication that you're doing it wrong.
All in all, Noah is a movie.  It was created for the sole purpose of entertainment, and to expect anything else is to set yourself up for disappointment.  Instead of spending our energy trying to boycott, let's try praying that those involved and those who see it experience a stirring in their hearts to seek the God that they see interpreted on the big screen.


Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!