I can be whiny sometimes.  Mostly in my head, but sometimes outside of it too, unfortunately.  I'm working on it (which I feel like is a mantra I have lately? I'm working on it, always working on something, adding that to the list of things that I feel like I should change.)

One of my most whiny, I-am-annoyed-at-myself-as-it-comes-out-of-my-mouth phrases is "I'm tryyyying."  Sometimes it really sounds like that.  And it's a valid statement, because all you can do is your best, and whatnot.

Lately I've been experimenting with changing my self-talk and seeing how it affects my behavior (could that be more Dr. Phil-y?)  And as eye-roll-worthy as that may sound, it works.  And if it works, I'm definitely going to keep doing it, and applying it to other areas of my life that need work (eating habits, ahoy!)



The place where I have seen the most improvement with this implementation is in my tryyyying whiny-ness.  When I'm tempted to complain about how I'm not doing something right even though it is my every intention to do it right, I tell myself "You either do it or you don't."  I thought I was really clever until I remembered that Yoda said pretty much the same thing.

I now have a post-it note with "Do or do not. There is no try." on my desk, and I would suggest that anyone with this particular affliction (or strong desire to be a Jedi) do the same.  It's just tough enough to snap you out of it, but much less harsh than telling yourself you're stupid.  Yay positive self talk!


Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading!